Former Bihar Governor Ram Nath Kovind will soon take over as the 14th President of India.
Putting all speculation to ease, the Bharatiya Janata Party announced his name as candidate for presidential election. The 71-year-old lawyer-turned-politician will soon be India’s next president.
Kovind registered an emphatic win over his opposition candidate Meira Kumar. Succeeding Pranab Mukherjee, Kovind’s swearing ceremony will happen on July 25 2017.
As he will soon be the next occupant of the Rashtrapati Bhavan, here’s all you need to know.
- Born on October 1, 1945 in Uttar Pradesh’s Kanpur Dehat, Kovind completed his primary and pre-middle school education from Kanpur. He completed Bachelor of Commerce from DAV College. He became a law graduate from DAV Law College, Kanpur.
- Later, he moved to Delhi to prepare for civil services examination. However, he turned down the job offer as he was selected in allied services.
- He is the second Dalit president after KR Narayanan. He is also the first president from Uttar Pradesh.
- He has a long career in politics behind him. He has also headed the BJP’s Dalit Morcha.
- He has also been member of the Rajya Sabha between 1994 and 2006 from Uttar Pradesh.
- As Rajya Sabha MP, he visited Thailand, Nepal, Germany, Switzerland, France, United Kingdom, Pakistan and United States of America on study tours.
- He is also the member of the board of governors of IIM- Kolkata
- He represented India in United Nations.
- He has extensively worked for providing free legal aid to the weaker sections of society, especially SC/ST women.
- On August 8 2015, he was appointed as the Governor of Bihar. He resigned from the same on July 17 to contest in presidential election.
A favourite in the race, Ram Nath Kovind won the presidential election with a wide margin of votes.